First Nations Community Engagement and Support Coordinator
Employment type: Full time contract until 30 June 2023
Location: St George
Annual salary range: $80,000 – $90,000 plus super (pro-rata)
Country Universities Centre Balonne is a not-for-profit community driven organisation, which is funded by the Commonwealth Government under the Regional University Centre program with key local support. The CUC Balonne provides a new opportunity to make higher education more accessible for students of all ages in the Balonne region. CUC Balonne is part of an affiliated network of the Country Universities Centre. Our students have free access to high-speed Internet, modern technology, and general academic support all delivered locally at CUC Balonne. Students also have the opportunity to build a network of like-minded fellow students and can take advantage of being part of a nation-wide learning community.
The CUC Balonne aims to establish and provide quality higher educational services to students in the region that are inclusive and accessible for the local community. CUC Balonne’s mission is to build the aspirations of our community through the power of education, by changing lives – one student at a time. The core outcomes of this position align with the mission in a complete way making sure the CUC Balonne tailors its services to the entire community.
This is a brand new role that has been created with in the Centre and will require a self starter with the aptitude listen, learn and to problem solve with the community. This position requires two phases to get up and running.
Phase 1 of the position will involve:
- Building key stakeholder relationships;
- Consultation with First Nations Elders and stakeholders in a holistic way;
- Identifying needs and key pain points;
- Identifying areas of collaboration; and
- Starting to develop and getting support for program activities.
Phase 2 would involve:
- Completing the development of programs based on discovery from consultation;
- Writing funding application;
- Implementing programs developed;
- Reporting on program outcomes;
- Continued consultation with community and adapting programs based on key learnings; and
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment and increasing participation
It is planned that learnings from this pilot position will be shared with the broader Regional University Centre network, to encourage broader participation by First Nations students across the program on a national scale.
It is in the strong interest of the Centre and network to see this position successful and continue past the 30 June contract date.
This position is one of the first of its type within the Country Universities Centre (CUC) network and its success will pave the way for other communities to follow suit. A similar position is being developed in the new CUC Cape York Centre which will provide a colleague with whom to collaborate, build resources, and share knowledge.
Who We Are Looking For
- An individual that is passionate and enthusiastic about creating opportunities for First Nations students;
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to connect with and engage others on an individual level as well as lead small groups and workshops;
- Demonstrated capacity to work as part of a team and contribute to a positive teamwork environment;
- Ability to build relationships with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds and create culturally sage spaces to empower the community to participate; and
- Demonstrated ability in project implementation through professional communication and reporting.
For all key selection criteria and more information about the position:
See the Position Description – First Nations Community Engagement and Support Coordinator or email email@example.com to request a copy.
Confidential enquiries can be made to Alix Greenhill on 0409 446 421.
To make an application:
You are required to submit a full CV and cover letter addressing the key selection criteria as outlined in the position description.
Applications close Monday, 26 September 2022 and must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org